AUCKLAND - New Zealand today reported no new cases of coronavirus for the first time since the crisis began.
The number of 'confirmed and probable' infections remained at 1,487 after one suspected case 'already known to us' tested positive, the health ministry said.   
The death toll was also unchanged at 20, while only four people are currently in hospital, none of them in intensive care.
New Zealand's director-general of health Ashley Bloomfield said the figures were a 'cause for celebration' and 'symbolic of the effort that everybody has put in' but warned that Kiwis would need to keep up 'continuing vigilance'.
New Zealand only confirmed its first case on February 26, but had shut its borders by March 19 and started imposing a full-scale lockdown on March 26.
The lockdown was eased last week, allowing takeaways to resume from restaurants and hundreds of thousands of people to return to work.
Gatherings of up to 10 people are now allowed for events such as weddings or funerals under the so-called Level 3 restrictions, down from the highest Level 4.
Prime minister Jacinda Ardern is due to decide in the next week whether the country can move down to Level 2, in which gatherings of 500 could be allowed.
Public venues and 'most businesses' would be allowed to re-open under Level 2, subject to health restrictions.
Speaking today, health director Bloomfield said the 'real test' would come later this week when any new cases caused by the move to Level 3 start to become visible.(FA)